Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Tell-tale Guilt

I walked to the house and knocked on the door, I was welcomed by a man who was much younger than the person who owned the house. This younger man told me that the old man who actually lived here was gone for a while. I was coming from the police department when I had received a phone call informing me of one shrill scream from this house so I had come to investigate. This man told me that the scream was his during a dream, but I still wanted to investigate the house to make sure that everything was okay.

I walked inside the house and the man showed me and my partner around, letting us investigate anything that we wished. Then he took us into what appeared to be a bedroom and pulled up some chairs for us to sit in. I investigated the wooden floor boards, I looked at the old table. He took us into the bedroom and I investigated the dresser and the bed; nothing seemed out of the usual so I was convinced that everything was okay.

Because we were satisfied that this man really had just screamed in his sleep, we started talking about comfortable subjects. At first the man seemed fine and comfortable, but it seemed that the longer we stayed the louder he attempted to get. We continued chatting, and I just thought that he was only very passionate about what we were talking about. He became louder, and louder, and louder; he scraped his chair against the ground, and he even swore!

 We continued chatting away, until the man screamed at us and said that he had committed the crime, he had buried the heart. We had no idea what he was talking about, but when he screamed at us to pry the floor boards up, we did and we saw a very horrifying site. There was a man's heart, so cleverly hidden in the floor boards that no one would be able to tell that it was there; this murderer had killed the old man who lived here, and he had cut off his limbs and his head. He has cut out his heart, and buried it beneath the floor boards! We were convinced that he was insane, because we could find no reason for this killer to murder the old man.

- Kalinda Shilling

No comments:

Post a Comment