Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Based On Edgar Allan Poe's The Tale Tell Heart.



 Based On Edgar Allan Poe's The Tale Tell Heart.
          A short story from the officer's point of view.
                       With assistance from Shining Star

I was sitting in the old wooden birch char rocking on it. The clock ticked. Tick. Tick. Tick. Not a case all day. But I felt it in my blood. Something was going to happen.  Something was important. Something was going to happen. I twirled my toothpick. "Slow day Joe?" asked  Bob. "Yes, no incidents all day." "Eh, that's a good thing huh?" "Yes." I replied. "But this is agonizing. I can feel, yes, I can, its building up!" Bob looked at me worriedly. "What is it Joe?" "Sorry. But I fell like a case is building up." Bob chuckled. "Nice one Joe. Hey Bill! Joe thinks there's an intense story building up. Can you believe?  Get two cups o' coffee."  I tried to smile, but I felt something was goin' on. I took my mug and sipped the coffee, looking at the clock. Just then, a lady came in. She looked distressed. I knew it! A case! "I heard a loud cry, like in pain, a cry for help!" She said trembling. "Don't worry mam' I'll go and investigate. "Thank you." She said, a little less distraught. I called to the other officers, and told them there was a case to investigate. I grabbed my thick blue coat and followed the young lady to the house. "Thank you officer, but I best be going." She said quivering. I tipped my hat and thanked her for the tip. We tapped on the door, and waited.  The night was bleak, and the cold nipped at my bare nose. A confident looking man answered the door. I never saw him here. He told me the old man was at the country side. I figured he was watching the house for him. He bade us in, and we followed. He let us sit on some very nice chairs, while he sat on a cherry wood chair. We asked him about that loud startling cry. He claimed he let out a cry from a startling dream. Right. I thought to myself. That noise can come from a dream. Still, it was a big and spooky house so it might have frightened the poor chap. The officers and I chatted with him, and we stook around for a while, to see more into this. The fellow started to sweat a bit, and tense and talk louder. I instantly knew something was up. So I motioned to the other officers to stick around for a while more, so we could dig deeper. He started yelling, pacing and painting. This was a clear sign that he had something other than a startling dream to do with this shrill cry. We continued to smile like we knew nothing. We stayed some more for him to blurt out the truth. Finally, he picked up the chair, swung it, scratched on a board, and beat it against the pale walls witch seemed black because of the dim lighting. Finally he gave a loud cry and revealed the truth. I smiled to the officers. We sure got him now. We put out the grey metal handcuffs on the smooth talking man, and took him back to the office to arrest him. We called out to the rest of the crew to take the body, and Bob, Bill and I finished our coffee back at the station. "Fellas," I said. "What a case. That man was sure out of his right mind. That old man did nothing to him. Any way how bizarre. What do you have to say to my hunch now, huh?"


2 comments: